Martin-Baker is the world’s leading manufacturer of ejection seats and related equipment.
It is the only company that can offer a fully integrated escape system that satisfies the very latest in pilot operational capability and safety standards. Martin-Baker offers a complete ‘end-to-end service’, from helping the customer to establish operational safety and escape requirements, including design, development and qualification, to on-going support throughout the entire service life of the aircraft.
A vacancy has arisen for a Sewing Machinist working in the Sewing Room at the Denham site.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
– Assemble, cut and stitch all fabric and webbing parts required for Seat Assembly and Survival aid containers.
– Follow technical drawings and build plans to manufacture components from appropriate fabrics using industrial sewing machines.
– Use templates to cut and mark fabric prior to sewing.
– Monitor imperfections in material or threads referring them to the Cell Leader for resolution.
– Monitor the fitness for purpose of tools and equipment e.g. Sewing Machines and cutters referring problems to the Cell Leader for resolutions so that tools and equipment are in good condition and suitable for purpose at all times and in order to avoid damage of goods, property and harm to oneself or other employees.
– To undertake any other duties as required together with general housekeeping cleaning duties, such that the Department and associated areas are maintained in an efficient clean and safe condition, thus providing a safe and efficient working environment.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
– GCSE English and Maths (A-C / 4-9)
– Good communications skills
– Willing to learn
– Able to perform simple calculations i.e. measurements of materials
– Meticulous and accurate in approach
SPECIFIC / TECHNICAL SKILLS
– Able to use an industrial sewing machine
– Able to interpret technical drawings and specifications
– Working to verbal instructions on development jobs where drawings do not yet exist
– Basic Computing skills
– Understanding of weft and weave
– Simple maintenance of sewing machines- changing needles etc.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
The ideal applicant will have:
– Previous experience in a manufacturing background and broad experience of reading and
interpreting engineering drawings.
– Basic background in H&S policies and procedures.
For all successful candidates, Martin-Baker will undertake background security checks. As part
of this, we will need to confirm your identity, employment history and address history to cover
the past five years as well as your nationality, immigration status and criminal record. For
positions that require Security Clearance, the successful candidate must hold or be willing to
obtain security clearance up to the relevant level for the role.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the SEWMAC0919 and Salary Expectations