Textile Design Assistant (6 month FTC)
Martin-Baker is the world’s leading manufacturer of ejection seats and related equipment.
It is the only company that can offer a fully integrated escape system that satisfies the very latest in pilot operational capability and safety standards. Martin-Baker offers a complete ‘end-to-end service’, from helping the customer to establish operational safety and escape requirements, including design, development and qualification, to on-going support throughout the entire service life of the aircraft.
A vacancy has arisen for a Textile Design Assistant for a 6 month fixed term contract working in Engineering department at the Denham site. The role holder is responsible for working on projects where an in-depth knowledge of textile materials, design considerations, and manufacturing techniques is paramount. Manufacturing prototype and limited production assemblies to support product development, producing manual and CAD patterns for narrow and broadloom textile materials and recording designs, patterns and construction instructions through CAD and text documents
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
– An understanding of MBA mechanical systems, the human interface and the ability to appropriately use textile materials for design solutions will be required or expected to develop rapidly.
– Occasional work outside of the department using the equipment of other departments with respect to production needs and others.
– Occasional secondment to other departments for personal development, introduction of new processes to recipient departments, or to support production for short terms.
– Workshop and office work, both standing and seated.
– Develop process specifications and best practice documents.
– Work within a team environment, liaising between departments as well as working individually with little supervision.
– Manual handling/lifting and working on floor space will be required occasionally.
– Appropriate dress/PPE for the task at hand will be required whether in the office or workshop environment.
– Occasional travel for product/equipment research, manufacturing or testing including local, national and international destinations.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
– Higher education in a relevant textile or engineering discipline
– Innate curiosity, determination and initiative – acts when opportunities arise or problems hinder productivity.
– Not afraid to make mistakes and builds on experience.
– Plans and organises own work well.
– Analysis and problem solving – examines and identifies situation elements and recommends solutions.
– Working collaboratively – actively contributes to achieve organisational objectives.
– Professional/technical expertise – uses technical and professional knowledge, skills and judgment effectively.
– Attention to detail – thorough and accurate.
– Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills in the workshop and office environment.
– Patternmaking skills
– Aptitude for quickly learning and using CAD systems.
– Sewing skills (machine and hand)
– Good hands-on skills including sewing room and mechanical hand tools.
– Good command of English grammar and word processing.
– Graphic skills – freehand, digital and photographic.
– MS Office (suite of applications).
– Good spatial awareness.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
The ideal applicant will have:
– Possess a practical understanding of mechanical, material, and chemical sciences.
– Able to perform basic 2D/3D geometric calculations.
– Understanding of woven, non-woven, and knit fabric properties and materials.
– Understanding of rigid and semi-rigid materials related to textile assemblies.
– Good understanding and competency with sewing room processes and technology especially cutting and joining techniques.
– 2D/3D textile pattern making skills including modification and documentation.
For all successful candidates, Martin-Baker will undertake background security checks. As part of this, we will need to confirm your identity, employment history and address history to cover the past five years as well as your nationality, immigration status and criminal record. For positions that require Security Clearance, the successful candidate must hold or be willing to obtain security clearance up to the relevant level for the role.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter to email@example.com quoting the TEXDES0220 and Salary Expectations